New Year, New(ish) Bathroom?
dream bathtub, *sigh*
I’m not one for making New Year’s resolutions – I can’t keep a diary for more than a week, let alone stick to a list of “New Year: new you!” self-induced hardships – but as my poor house has been horribly neglected during 2012 (*cough* car needed a new clutch *cough*), I thought I would take this opportunity to put a few promises for 2013 in writing:
- In 2013 we will finally redecorate the bathroom. It has dingy burgundy walls and the smallest bathroom cabinet known to humanity, so light and bright is the order of the day. I’m planning a soft, neutral colour for the walls (something like Bone China by Dulux), and I’ll be getting rid of the teensy mirrored cabinet, replacing it with a useful shelf and above that, a really big mirror, like this one from Ikea. Some colourful accessories, like these gorgeous Orla Kiely towels, will bring the room to life.
- New bookcases. For the love of God, woman, you waffled on about the problem back in September so just go to Ikea and get it sorted out before the books take over!
- Do that Grown Up thing of getting someone in to give a quote for something, in this case for dealing with the leaky shack tacked on to the back of the house (otherwise known as the lean-to) – ideally I’d like to replace it with a very basic conservatory but we may only be able to afford to make it watertight. This is a project for 2014, possibly, but it will be nice to know how much we have to save up to even consider it.
- Pay to have the oven cleaned. Let’s face it, I’m not about to do it any time soon……
- Tackle our lack of storage, by investing in a blanket box or ottoman for the spare room (to house bed linen), and some under-bed storage boxes (to house my collection of handbags and scarves).
- Finishing the picture wall in the kitchen – I got as far as putting up four pictures then started dithering about getting the rest framed and lo, half the wall is empty. I’m aiming for something like this, but with different coloured frames against a darker grey wall:
Hopefully, now I’ve stated my home improvement aims in black and white on the internet, I’ll actually knuckle down and get on with it (I’m also going to print this list and put it on the fridge, so I can tick things off when they’re done).
Are you planning any home improvements, big or small, in 2013?